Event Cancellations Due to Coronavirus
Several upcoming events have been canceled or postponed due to concerns about the new coronavirus (COVID-19). Events listed on this page may be outdated, so please visit the event website or contact the event organizer for the latest information.
Event organizers can contact us to update their event’s information.
Explore family friendly events, theatres, galleries, concerts, nightlife, things to do, and more in the Greenville, SC and Upstate areas.
There’s still time to volunteer with us!
Support the arts and Flat Rock Playhouse by joining our Supporting Players, a volunteer organization serving as the backbone of FRP for over 30 years. Whether a longtime member of this crucial wing of the Vagabond Family or someone interested in joining a program that supports the arts, economy, and history of our beautiful community, you can make a huge impact by joining our team. Be part of the first-ever “Stay at Home Supporting Players” and the first to discover new volunteer opportunities in 2020. To join, click the link below and select “Single Membership” or “Couples Membership” on the dropdown menu!
July 1 – September 7, 2020
Included with Biltmore Admission
Our fun-for-all-ages botanical model train displays invite you to experience our grounds in an engaging new way. Located in Antler Hill Village, the displays feature replicas of train depots from around the country. Each beautifully executed piece was handcrafted from such natural elements as leaves, bark, and twigs.
|Get in on global Pride by dining in or ordering from these LGBTQIA+ owned and operated restaurants around the U.S.|
For the safety and well-being of our supporters, Dogwood Alliance will not hold our annual Woods & Wilds live storytelling event this year. It’s an event we look forward to every year because it’s an opportunity to celebrate the magic of forests with our community. We still wanted to find a way to bring that same kind of magic to people wherever they are, so we teamed up with SlayTheMic to launch Woods & Wilds: The Podcast! We will be releasing an episode every other Monday.
The podcast will sometimes offer tales of the forest and other times will be an interview with our guests about their unique connection to nature – often touching on the connection between hip hop and nature.
We were overjoyed to welcome our very first guest, Dr. Thomas RaShad Easley aka RaShad Eas, also known as the Hip Hop Forester and the Assistant Dean of Community and Inclusion at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, where he helps strengthen community diversity and develops programming around workplace equity. He’s also the author of the incredible article How Hip Hop Can Bring Green Issues To Communities of Color.
Earn your Permaculture Design Certificate and transform your life! This class meets one 3-day weekend a month, from April-November 2020, at our campus based near Asheville, NC.
Are you ready to…
– Move toward the lifestyle that you yearn for in your bones?
– Dive deep into the world of permaculture and sustainable living?
– Meet like-minded people who share your passion for living close to the Earth?
– Become initiated into the world of Earthskills?
– Learn how to create a food forest?
– Take time out of your life to feed your connection with the Earth?
– Learn to become more self-sufficient?
Then head on over to our website to learn more about our Earthskills & Permaculture Immersion: https://www.wildabundance.net/classes/earthskills-and-permaculture/
Prepare for a night out like never before with a Greenville Bar Hunt! Let’s Roam is putting a new spin on the old bar crawl.
The Let’s Roam Greenville Bar Hunt is a fun activity for small groups, team builders, date night or even a birthday or bachelorette party. Whether you’re a local or just visiting, this is the best way to explore the hottest spots in town. Complete exciting photo and video challenges at the as you make your way through pubs, clubs, and dives to see who will be crowned the Bar Hunt Champion!
No reservations and no advance booking required. Must be 21 to participate.
The Miss Collegiate USA Organization is hosting its first annual University Fair from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on Thursday, July 9, 2020. The University Fair will be held at Hyatt Regency Greenville, 220 N. Main Street, Greenville, SC 29601. This date is the day before the 2020 Miss Collegiate USA Pageant and during Nationals Week.
The Miss Collegiate USA University Fair presents an opportunity for high school students and their parents, as well as college-bound individuals to talk with representatives from colleges, universities, vocational, and technical trade schools. The fair is open to the public, as well as all state delegates from 50 states in the High School USA and Collegiate USA divisions.
We look forward to providing this opportunity to the Greenville community and our state delegates. We hope you will attend the Miss Collegiate USA University Fair on Thursday, July 9, 2020. If you have any questions, please call or email [email protected]
IMAGINATION & PLAY (Rising K4-K5)
ACTOR-IN-TRAINING (Rising 1st-2nd)
TECHNIQUE & PERFORMANCE (Rising 3rd-6th)
PERFORMANCE (Rising 5th-12th)
TEEN STUDIOS (Rising 7th-12th)
ADVANCED TEEN STUDIOS (Rising 9th-12th)
Summer Camp Guidelines related to COVID-19:
– You and your child’s safety are our first priority this summer. SYT will be implementing heightened measures to ensure the health and safety of all children participating in a camp this summer.
–CLICK HERE for the full list of measures SYT will be taking this summer to keep our campers and staff safe and healthy.
Check out the TATT YouTube Channel for archives from meetings, presentations and events hosted by Ten at the Top. The channel also includes videos of the Elevate Upstate Grant recipients and other TATT initiatives.
Suzanne has generously donated a portion of the session fee to Flat Rock Playhouse and she has a goal of raising $15,000 before the end of the year! She has currently raised $2,015, so help Suzanne reach her goal and capture some memories along the way. Check out some of her portraits above and click the link below to schedule your session today!
Inspired by the national trend of porch portraits, Suzanne of The Gallery at Flat Rock, will be offering portrait sessions and donating a portion of the session cost to Flat Rock Playhouse.
A fifteen-minute porch portrait session is $65 (cash or check) of which $15 will be donated to the Flat Rock Playhouse, a friend and neighbor to the gallery which made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 season.
ABOUT THE EXHIBIT
The hillbilly stereotype is one that is alive and well in American popular culture as a quick survey of the cable dial reveals with such shows as Moonshiners, Appalachian Outlaws, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, and countless others.
Surprisingly, it is one often displayed among educated sorts here in Western North Carolina who would never dream of disparaging any minority or “out group,” but do not hesitate to characterize native Western North Carolinians, as a group, as ignorant, in-bred, hopelessly retrograde, violent, snake-handling, moonshining/meth-making rednecks.
The Hillbillyland Exhibition explores the power, prevalence, and persistence of the hillbilly stereotype from the days of its beginnings in the late 19th century to the present day. The exhibit takes a unique approach by focusing on photography featuring the people of the region, some of them stereotypical images, combined with poetry and short prose pieces that challenge and complicate these stereotypes.
Visit the Virtual Exhibit
ABOUT THE EXHIBIT
In the midst of the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic, we take an in-depth look at the 1918 influenza epidemic in Western North Carolina through newspaper clippings, advertisements, ephemera, photographs, and oral history and place the events of 1918 into context with our present-day response to the coronavirus pandemic.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 1 – FRIDAY, JULY 31
Summer is all about outdoor fun, spending quality time together as a family and taking in the wonderful sights of nature. During this time of year, it’s easy to find many human faces in the Park, but you can also see other faces as well. Whether it’s faces of animals, faces in the rock formations, or even outlines of faces in the ground. Be sure to submit your best photo interpretation into our summer-themed “The Many Faces of Chimney Rock” Photo Contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you can win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between January 1, 2020 – February 29, 2020.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to [email protected].
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of love at Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media channels. For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at [email protected].
TCMU-Spartanburg Summer Camps
- Email [email protected] with your week of interest and child’s age or call 864-553-7953
- Online registration will be available soon
- COVID-19 Safety Adaptations:
- Upon arrival, each child’s temperature will be taken via a digital infrared non-contact thermometer—temperature must be below 100.4 to participate.
- Camp staff members will wear masks, but campers are not required to do so.
- Camp check-in will be facilitated in front of the building to ensure child safety and appropriate supervision.
- No outside guests will be allowed into camp classrooms.
- No backpacks, lunch bags or reusable water bottles will be allowed- campers will be asked to bring snacks in disposable bags and water in disposable bottles, all with the campers’ names on them.
- Campers must practice social distancing at all times and remain with their own class.
- Materials and supplies will be provided each day; supplies will not be shared.
- All materials and classrooms will be sanitized overnight, including surfaces and door handles.
July 6-10- Jurassic Park: Join us for a week of prehistoric fun as we learn about dinosaurs, create our own and let them invade our exhibits! All activities have a focus on S.T.E.A.M., literacy and hands-on play.
July 13-17- Animal Explorations: Calling all animal lovers for a week of wild fun. We’ll be exploring and learning about animals in a variety of habitats around the world, including some right in our very own backyards! All activities have a focus on S.T.E.A.M., literacy and hands-on play.
July 20-24- Natural Wonders: Join us for an imaginary trip around the world as we explore the wonders that Mother Nature has to offer- from the Grand Canyon, to the Amazon, to the Himalayas, we’ll be learning lots of new things while we recreate what we learn in the museum exhibits. All activities have a focus on S.T.E.A.M., literacy and hands-on play.
July 27-31- Landmarks and Engineering: Join us for another trip around the world, but this time we’ll be exploring the wonders that were made by humans. From the pyramids, to bridges, to the Eiffel Tower, we’ll be learning about principles of engineering and joining in lots of challenges. All activities have a focus on S.T.E.A.M., literacy and hands-on play.
August 3-7- Art Explorations: Calling those who love art, and those who may not yet, but will by the end of this week! We’ll be exploring a different art medium each day, including tie-dye, sculpture and much more. All activities have a focus on S.T.E.A.M., literacy and hands-on play.
Call 864-233-7755 or register online:
- If registering for full day camps, please select the AM camp and PM camp for your child’s age group. Your child will automatically be enrolled in Lunch Bunch at no additional cost to you.
- Please complete all information on the first registration page for the camper, then enter billing information on pages 2 and 3.
- Once you reach the shopping cart page, you can return to this page and continue to add new camps to your cart. Your shopping cart will save for up to 15 minutes.
- If you have any questions, please call 864-233-7755 or you can email [email protected]
Times and Prices
Summer camps run weekly. Full payment is due at time of registration.
AM Camps: 9am-12pm – $150 (members) | $170 (non-members)
PM Camps: 1pm-4pm – $150 (members) | $170 (non-members)
Lunch Bunch add-on for half day camps: 12pm-1pm – $30
Full day Camps: 9am-4pm – $300 (members) | $340 (non-members)
Pre-K: Campers age 3-5 who have not completed K5 kindergarten. Pre-K campers must choose between AM or PM half day camps, full day is not available. Campers must be potty trained.
K5-2nd: Campers who have completed grades K5-2; full or half day available
3rd-5th: Campers who have completed grades 3-5; full or half day available
COVID-19 Safety Adaptations
- Camps will be run at limited capacities based on social distancing guidelines and CDC recommendations
- Upon arrival, each child’s temperature will be taken via a digital infrared non-contact thermometer—temperature must be below 100.4 to participate
- Camp staff members will wear masks, but campers are not required to do so
- Campers must practice social distancing at all times and to remain with their own class
- Materials and supplies will be provided each day; supplies will not be shared
- Materials and classrooms will be thoroughly sanitized during and after camp each day
- No backpacks, lunch bags or reusable water bottles will be allowed—campers will be asked to bring snacks in disposable bags and water in disposable bottles, all with the campers’ name on them.
- No outside guests will be allowed into camp classrooms
Join our REEB Cycles master for a guided ride to and from the brewery, every Thursday at 6 p.m.
Check out the REEB Ranch facebook page for this week’s routes and details!
Uncensored expression: anyone is invited to step up to share song, music, poetry, comedy, rants & raves!
The most eclectic open mic around, in a welcoming gallery setting! 6 pm signup, perform 6:30-8:30 pm.
America’s favorite ventriloquist has just released his next Netflix Originals Stand-up Special, “Jeff Dunham: Beside Himself”, taped June 21st and 22nd at the American Airlines Center in his hometown of Dallas, TX. In addition to his usual cast of accomplices, Dunham introduces a brand new, never seen-on-TV character who gives his unique take on what it’s like to work at the White House under Trump. Following the success of 2017’s “Jeff Dunham: Relative Disaster,” the new show is Dunham’s second special for Netflix Originals, and the ninth in his impressive string of record-breaking stand up television events.
For Mature Audiences Only