Greenville County Schools is excited to announce the ARMES (Arts Reaching Middle and Elementary Schools) program will expand this school year by establishing sites in the northern and southern areas of the district and by adding an additional music pathway.
Over the next five years, the program will grow from serving 350 artistically gifted students to over 2,000. The northern site will be located at Greer Middle School, the southern site will be located at Hillcrest Middle School and the central site has moved from the Fine Arts Center to League Academy.
As part of the program’s growth, music opportunities will expand for students at all three locations. The new music pathway will provide students in grades 3-5 with an in-depth study of developing aural skills, sight singing, ear training, music theory, and other music topics that extend well beyond what is provided in an elementary music class.
As this program is brand new, the 2022-23 school year will begin by serving only third-grade students in the music pathway. This program will continue to expand each year as more grade levels are added.
Nomination and Audition Information – Third Grade Students Only
- Student Nominations Open: August 8, 2022
- Student Nominations Close: September 12, 2022
- Audition Dates: Ongoing through September 12, 2022
- Audition Locations: League Academy, Greer Middle, Hillcrest Middle (this will be assigned based on the school students attend or where students live)
- Audition Time: Once a nomination form has been completed, someone from the site closest to your school will be in touch with an audition date and time. All auditions will happen after school.
- A nomination form must be submitted for a student in order to audition. ARMES site supervisors will be in touch to set up an audition date/time
What Students Will Be Asked to Do in Their Audition:
- Be prepared to sing the first verse of America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee).
- Match pitch for two examples where the teacher will give you the pitch and you sing it back on “La”.
- Echo clap two examples where the teacher will clap a rhythm and then you repeat it back by clapping.
- “Sight clap” two rhythms.
Visit the ARMES website to learn more about the program and upcoming auditions!
Prepared by Greenville County Schools.