The Blood Connection
- In the past few days, hospital partners are reporting they are using blood at a much higher rate than normal. When demand is high, and the supply is critically low – that is a dangerous equation for the community.
- Because of the critically low supply, The Blood Connection (TBC) is now having to back-order blood products. This has affected 12 hospital partners so far.
- 48% of days this month, TBC DID NOT collect enough blood to cover hospitals’ needs. For comparison, in May of 2020 (during the pandemic) TBC collected enough to cover those needs 84% of the days.
- There is a high likelihood that TBC will have to start rationing blood by the end of the weekend.
- Heading into a holiday weekend – hospitals are stocking up their blood supply. TBC has already not been able to provide those products.
- The community is the ONLY solution to this dangerous problem. The blood supply for local hospitals is in the community’s hands.